Nuytsia floribunda - the (Australian) Christmas tree

• 2 Replies

MikeHardman

• www.mikehardman.com
Nuytsia floribunda - the (Australian) Christmas tree
« on: November 22, 2012, 11:15:16 PM »
I was sorting through some boxes of books (some I'm only just getting to three years after moving from England), and one of them was a book I had found in Mum & Dad's loft after they had both passed on. I have little idea how it came to be there; no family connections, etc. The book is in excellent condition, and called 'Wild Flowers of Western Australia', by C. A. Gardner, 1935. The first image below is the cover, which has a lovely hint of art deco about it. The second image is the frontispiece, which explains what the book it about. I wonder if any of you are familiar with it?

In particular I mention it because some of the plants featured are suited to mediterranean gardening. And let me focus on one that I had never heard of - Nuytsia floribunda, known as the Christmas tree. See 3rd photo. It looks spectacular in that illustration. Some of the images you can find on the internet are also quite impressive. It is interesting because it is a root parasite, related to mistletoe. This article goes into some detail.

It seems (with its agressive roots) like it could become a problem, so I can't suggest growing it outside its native range. But I wanted to share it with you.
Mike
Geologist by Uni training, IT consultant, Referee for Viola for Botanical Society of the British Isles, commissioned author and photographer on Viola for RHS (Enc. of Perennials, The Garden, The Plantsman).
I garden near Polis, Cyprus, 100m alt., on marl, but have gardened mainly in S.England

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
Re: Nuytsia floribunda - the (Australian) Christmas tree
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2012, 07:44:35 PM »
Here's a picture I took of this tree last month, in the Royal Botanic Gardens Cranborne, Victoria (a wonderful and very extensive new bot garden devoted to Australian native plants). They had a bit of trouble establishing it, as - being a mistletoe - it is partly parasitic.
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

MikeHardman

• www.mikehardman.com
Re: Nuytsia floribunda - the (Australian) Christmas tree
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2012, 11:28:45 PM »
Thank you Alisdair - good find!
Mike
Geologist by Uni training, IT consultant, Referee for Viola for Botanical Society of the British Isles, commissioned author and photographer on Viola for RHS (Enc. of Perennials, The Garden, The Plantsman).
I garden near Polis, Cyprus, 100m alt., on marl, but have gardened mainly in S.England