Kiel - u Boot u 995

We do not want to go to Hamburg when we are in Kiel. Does any one know about the u boat museum? How would one get there. Is if worth the trip?

Is there any thing else along the way? Thank you for the help. CC is the best.

2009Laboe26-vi.jpg

It's not in Kiel but in Laboe which is the other side of the Kiel Fjord...

2009Laboe04-vi.jpg

and here you find all information to get there:

http://heinbloed-cruiseguides.blogspot.com/2009/05/laboe-germany-navy-memorial-submarine.html

Regards,

HeinBloed

I took the ship's tour from the Eurodam when we were in Kiel. We were unlucky with the weather in Kiel and had heavy rain and gale force winds. I found the Naval Memorial mildly interesting with lots of information about ships and naval battles and casualties in the World Wars. When you go into the U Boat, it is very small inside. It takes about 5 minutes (tops) to walk through it. There is a little cafe there when they gave us a snack. We also saw the end of the Kiel Canal.

If the weather had been better, I would certainly have preferred to go to Hamburg or Lubeck on the train or even on a ship's tour. As HeinBloed has pointed out on other threads, it is easy to get to the train station from the dock. For me, the U Boat was more of a time filler than anything else. Because the weather was so bad, I didn't bother to wander around Kiel itself, but I didn't see anything that I was sorry to miss. Hamburg is a very interesting large city and Lubeck is a small and charming historic town which is very walkable.

Archived