Corsair Community

Problems getting memtest to run

Coolmeadow

I've wiped out all my remaining CD-R blanks, and hesitate to to to my DVD-R blanks, it it would even work. I've tried using Nero 8 to burn, and even tried Imgburn but this is all I get when I try to boot from the player:

Reboot and Select proper Boot device Or Insert Boot Media in Selected Boot Device and pree a key

I've tried downloads from here, and from the memtest site, all with the same results.

When I try to change the order in Bios, it doesn't change, but I also have the option to go into the Boot Menu when powering up and select optical player. That is when I get the above message.

SO, what am I doing wrong? I'm sure it is something I'm overlooking, but I'm just not able to find it. Thanks for your help! Jim.

Yes, shows that it is unzipped. What size should the file be unzipped? I show the zipped file at 51kb and unzipped at 1.4mb. I'm not able to change the boot order in bios (F2), but can in the boot order (F10) screen on my motherboard (Intel DH55HC). It doesn't give the option to save, it's like a one time change. I'm going to try one of the discs in another computer and see what happens. If it runs there, I'll know it's something in my computer I don't have set up right. Jim.

Update: I'm now able to change the boot order in BIOS on my machine, but still get the above message and won't boot off the CD for memtest. My wife's XP machine I can't even get into BIOS!! No matter what I've tried, it just goes straight to XP. Guess I need to try a different keyboard and see if that's the problem. My HP Win 7 laptop won't go to BIOS either, but I figure that is a laptop thing. It has it's own utility to check memory, and hard drive etc, that it will go through.

I'll keep trying. Jim.

edit. Tried the USB option on my computer, still didn't work. Have a place in BIOS to boot from it first, still nothing. More confused by the minute. ;): Jim.

edit 2. XP machine still won't go into BIOS. It does show to have 2.99gb of memory installed, so it is reading all 4 sticks. Whether it is using it or not is another question.....:[pouts:

OK, memtest running on my computer. Still need to try the XP machine later. Come to find out while searching for help using Nero 8 to burn the disc, if it isn't the full version, mine came with my Pioneer burner, it doesn't actually burn the image, so therefore won't work. So if you have the Nero Essentials Version, download imgburn and use. Thought I had used it on one of the shiny coasters I made, but must not have gotten the unzipped file that time.

But it's working. Will let it go a few passes on my machine since it is running there, then try the wife's XP unit. Later! Jim.

edit: Still won't run in the XP machine. It will not go into BIOS. Weird.

No, I don't think so...doesn't mean I'm not wrong...I thought that's why files were zipped was to make them smaller for downloading. I'm getting 68kb zipped and anywhere from 568 to 764 unzipped. Since it won't load, I was hoping I was doing something wrong. But it still could be that the XP computer boots from the HD first, and since I can't get into the BIOS to change the boot order, that that is the problem. Just looking for verification. Jim.

if you unzip this http://memtest.org/download/4.20/memtest86+-4.20.iso.zip you should have an .ISO file. download PowerISO (free) and it will correctly burn the bootable image to a cd or dvd.

also try f2 f8 f10 f12 to get to a change boot order screen (available on most motherboards)

you can also temporarily unplug the HDD and the PC will boot to the CD/DVD automatically.

if you unzip this http://memtest.org/download/4.20/memtest86+-4.20.iso.zip you should have an .ISO file. download PowerISO (free) and it will correctly burn the bootable image to a cd or dvd.

also try f2 f8 f10 f12 to get to a change boot order screen (available on most motherboards)

you can also temporarily unplug the HDD and the PC will boot to the CD/DVD automatically.

Thanks Syntholol, I'll give that a try. (unplugging the HD) I've tried all the f keys one at a time, letting XP load, then taking it back down again. Even tried the delete button that some of my research showed that some motherboards use. Nadda. And the floppy size was the one I was interested in. I've run a DVD version on my desk top unit, and did finally get it to work in the laptop yesterday. Desk top went 3 passes before I had to shut it off, the laptop went 5, neither showed any errors. I was happy, but didn't think there would be a problem with either of those units. The wife's XP desktop is another matter, and is what got me into trying memtest to begin with.

Thanks again for your help. I'll try it next weekend when I don't have to try to put the computer back together before I head off to work. Jim.

Yeah, isn't that the truth! I can't even put a floppy on my board. Well, I guess I could do one in an external case and hooked up USB, but what's the point? I just thought that since the wife's XP unit had one that maybe it would boot from it first since I couldn't get into the BIOS to change the order. But with your tip on unplugging the HD, I won't have to worry about that. Jim.

Just tried the XP machine with the SATA cable unhooked at the HD and it still would not run memtest from the DVD or Floppy drives. I think the MB is locked up, or something is deadly wrong with it. Not sure it is worth my time to mess with it any more. Just wish it made sense. Thanks again for all your help and suggestions. Maybe it will help someone else who reads this. Jim.

DVD-R Tried to use my Nero 8 to burn, but found out after some searches that the essentials version that came with my Pioneer burner doesn't actually burn the CD or DVDs, so I used Imgburn and it worked fine. Is that what you are asking? It works on my desktop and laptop, both with Win 7 Pro 64, I just can't get it or the floppy version to load on the XP machine. I still think the tech she had work on it last did something so that she would have to call him back for any repair. Otherwise, something is wrong with the MB since I can't get it to go into the BIOS to change the boot order. I'm going to let it go for now since the computer is working better with the added new 2 gig of memory. Wife won't let me even try to upgrade her computer until she gets some down time away from her teaching schedule. Let me know if you have any ideas on getting the XP machine to go into BIOS! Jim.

• Corsair Employee
That is the issue you will have to use an CD-R not a DVD-R; sorry but that will not work with this ISO image and you have to use the Burn Image command; if you drag and drop the ISO image for example it will burn it as a file not as an image, and the CD will not boot.

foolproof works with cd or dvd. AND its the correct file, ya dont use the floppy version.

also removing the battery for a few minutes should cause it to ask to run the bios setup util.

That is the issue you will have to use an CD-R not a DVD-R; sorry but that will not work with this ISO image and you have to use the Burn Image command; if you drag and drop the ISO image for example it will burn it as a file not as an image, and the CD will not boot.

Are you saying that it won't work at all on DVD, or that the DVD version won't work on the XP machine? Because the DVD works fine on both of my Win 7 Pro 64 machines. I used the floppy download version for the floppy, still doesn't work. But I'm convinced it is the computer not booting from any other source other than the HD. I may try installing a formatted extra HD I have and see what happens this weekend. After that, I'm done.

Agree on the burn image, I thought I was burning in Nero, it was the burn button in the program, but found out the free essentials version doesn't really burn.

foolproof works with cd or dvd. AND its the correct file, ya dont use the floppy version.

also removing the battery for a few minutes should cause it to ask to run the bios setup util.

Maybe the free Imgburn program does the same since it is obviously working on two of my computers. I pulled the battery for 40 minutes last weekend. tried turning on with the battery out, and back in....same thing...won't go into BIOS.

Thanks guys! Jim.

I built it about 4 years ago, maybe 5. It's an Intel D945GNT board with a 840 processor I think. Might be a 940. Using on board audio and video. I really would like to move her onto my MB and processor and update mine, but the hassle of moving all her software and documents from her business is more than she is ready to have done, and maybe more than I want to try. I never had trouble getting into the BIOS when I've needed to which hasn't been much since I built it. But she has hired 2 techs to work on it in the last couple years, and since I wasn't here, I have no idea what they might have done. If I try to integrate things myself, I'll clone her drive, and use my back up drive to try so I'm not playing with her drive in case I run into problems.

Thanks for the questions. I know you are trying to understand what I have here to see if you have any suggestions. But I think your statement about it being possessed is pretty much nailed it. Not sure it's a good candidate for an exorcism. :evil: Jim.

• Corsair Employee

Synthohol

Have you tried it dunning the ISO to DVD-R? I have and I can tell you 100% it WILL NOT WORK...

You have to Burn it to a CD-R...

Nero will see its a DVD-R and change the format on the ISO Image for a CD-R will not burn right using NERO. I have done it and it will not work!

Now maybe you are saying that another program will work but I have no information on that and I did not see where you stated a specific Program that would.

Hey RG, Coolmeadow found that to be true about NERO and used Imagburn instead.

Come to find out while searching for help using Nero 8 to burn the disc, if it isn't the full version, mine came with my Pioneer burner, it doesn't actually burn the image, so therefore won't work. So if you have the Nero Essentials Version, download imgburn and use.

Then further down the thread he posted this:

I've run a DVD version on my desk top unit, and did finally get it to work in the laptop yesterday.

Are you saying that it won't work at all on DVD, or that the DVD version won't work on the XP machine? Because the DVD works fine on both of my Win 7 Pro 64 machines.

So both Win7 builds run memtest fine, but he can't get his XP machine to run it at all. Unless the older OS would need a CD-r as you have suggested.

Synthohol

Now maybe you are saying that another program will work but I have no information on that and I did not see where you stated a specific Program that would.

yes NERO stinks like old fish, have not used it for years!!

PowerISO is the BEST!!!

attachment.php?attachmentid=11349&stc=1&d=1347656919

attachment.php?attachmentid=11350&stc=1&d=1347656929

poweriso.thumb.jpg.34d476ed11974c933df4f5a37e12a546.jpg

works.jpg.94f4a908cdd35a566c3ab25a7ffb94e1.jpg

Archived