what distro of linux should i use

w00t

Diamond Member
Nov 5, 2004
this will be my 1st linux install but i dont wnat sumthing easy i want somthing i can stick with i have tried ubuntu it doesnt install hardware problem i think i checked to see if i have the correct installer and its not corrupted using md5sums but it hangs when installing so i have to use another distro which would be best for me and my rig?

w00t

Diamond Member
Nov 5, 2004
well which would fit me best i mean feel free to answer me questions and stuff. last time i took what your os test is i got debian

lol i just took the test and it says mac os x lol i wish :(

n0cmonkey

Elite Member
Jun 10, 2001
Originally posted by: w00t
well which would fit me best i mean feel free to answer me questions and stuff. last time i took what your os test is i got debian

Have you experienced a recent head injury, or have you never used punctuation?

The question in the original post ("this will be my 1st linux install but i dont wnat sumthing easy i want somthing i can stick with i have tried ubuntu it doesnt install hardware problem i think i checked to see if i have the correct installer and its not corrupted using md5sums but it hangs when installing so i have to use another distro which would be best for me and my rig?") is about as unintelligable as you can get without venturing into non-English languages.

w00t

Diamond Member
Nov 5, 2004
Originally posted by: n0cmonkey

Have you experienced a recent head injury, or have you never used punctuation?

The question in the original post ("this will be my 1st linux install but i dont wnat sumthing easy i want somthing i can stick with i have tried ubuntu it doesnt install hardware problem i think i checked to see if i have the correct installer and its not corrupted using md5sums but it hangs when installing so i have to use another distro which would be best for me and my rig?") is about as unintelligable as you can get without venturing into non-English languages.

if your going to be that anal about it i will fix it

Last night, I tried ubuntu it hung at install screen so that is outa the options. I am looking for a good stable os that will meet my needs. I love n0cmonkey because he is the bestest :)

n0cmonkey

Elite Member
Jun 10, 2001

I wouldn't consider my request to be anal, since the part you rewrote is quite understandable, despite the poor grammar. :)

Last night, I tried ubuntu it hung at install screen so that is outa the options. I am looking for a good stable os that will meet my needs. I love n0cmonkey because he is the bestest :)

Try Fedora.

w00t

Diamond Member
Nov 5, 2004

I wouldn't consider my request to be anal, since the part you rewrote is quite understandable, despite the poor grammar. :)

Try Fedora.

k, thanks

just wondering if i run vmware while running mac os x do you think that will be slow? is it possible to install mac os x on a pc?

Nothinman

Elite Member
Sep 14, 2001
Last night, I tried ubuntu it hung at install screen so that is outa the options.

Then you need to figure out why it hung, hardware support between distributions is going to be extremely similar.

w00t

Diamond Member
Nov 5, 2004
Originally posted by: Nothinman
Last night, I tried ubuntu it hung at install screen so that is outa the options.

Then you need to figure out why it hung, hardware support between distributions is going to be extremely similar.

I dont know why it just sat there i wrote down what it said but it just sat there i went in ubuntu irc channel and there site and i dont see anything about hardware.

Nothinman

Elite Member
Sep 14, 2001
Please use punctuation, it makes it very difficult to read your posts when they're one really long run on sentence.

I don't know if Ubuntu has a HCL anywhere, since I've been using Linux for so many years and I follow kernel development I already have a good idea if my hardware is going to work or not.

Where did the installer hang? It might be simpler just to download a few more ISOs for other distributions to try and see if they work. Also Knoppix is a good LiveCD to try, if it works in Knoppix then you know it can work and might just be a setting or problem with the kernel configuration in Ubuntu.

n0cmonkey

Elite Member
Jun 10, 2001
is it possible to install mac os x on a pc?

PC = Personal Computer
Macintosh = Personal Computer
PC = Macintosh

So yes, but if you mean an x86 based PC, then not really.

w00t

Diamond Member
Nov 5, 2004
is it possible to install mac os x on a pc?

PC = Personal Computer
Macintosh = Personal Computer
PC = Macintosh

So yes, but if you mean an x86 based PC, then not really.

Iam going to try vista beta.

Kaervak

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2001
If you're a completely clueless linux noob like me, try out Suse. For me Yast makes things a lot easier. Over time once I get more familiar with Linux I'll proably end up switching to something else though. But for beginners I'd say it's pretty good.

SleepWalkerX

Platinum Member
Jun 29, 2004
Yast is a cool administration tool, but its too bloated slow for my tastes.

Since Ubuntu didn't work, try SimplyMepis.

xtknight

Elite Member
Oct 15, 2004
I like SUSE 10. Full of features, and it seems like it would bundle something you need that another distro wouldn't. However most 3D games just freeze (even on my NVIDIA GF6800 card) like on my P4 machine too, but tuxracer (3D) and LBreakout (2D) run fine. Other than that it's stable. Overall for me however, I'd say Windows XP is more stable for what I do (programming, web browsing, gaming). Programming/browsing are probably more stable in Linux, but gaming is a lot more stable in Windows due to better drivers. If games didn't crash I'd be using it all day, but it's too broad of an issue to track down. It would be a lot easier to debug if the game didn't completely hard-lock your system. You're forced to press the reset button and possibly damage files that have handles open. Keep in mind, your experience won't necessarily be like mine. Not to say I don't like Linux. If it weren't for the game crashing thing, I probably would use it more.

There's an x86 version of Mac OS but I don't think Apple supports installing that on other Intel/AMD chips, for whatever reason.

ProviaFan

Lifer
Mar 17, 2001
Originally posted by: xtknight
There's an x86 version of Mac OS but I don't think Apple supports installing that on other Intel/AMD chips, for whatever reason.
Not to mention that if you have it and you don't have an Apple Developer machine, you got it illegally. ;)

I'm trying SUSE right now, it seems like a very simple installation (not much worse than Windows), compared to Gentoo. I'm sure that Fedora would be fine as well, but with the caveat that you're likely to encounter hardware issues since all Linux distributions are based off of (roughly) the same kernel.

imported_andro

Sep 25, 2004
I personally like SUSE since its inception.. have been using it for over 5 years... in between sometime I tried redhat, mandrake, linspire... but never liked anything other than SUSE with the kde... look at kde-look.org for themes and customizations...
it is really stable and almost works out of the box... spend some good time with it and google ( or post in this forum) if u run into some problems
Enjoy the linux world

The Linuxator

Banned
Jun 13, 2005
From my experience when I first started with Linux , I tried over 50 Linux distros, most of them where excellent in one area and poor in many others. Finally I setteled on Fedora Core as it was balanced and it substituted win xp pro on all my systems.

In your case, here are my suggestions by order of importance :

1- Fedora Core 4 , available in x86-64-32 bit versions, and powerPC version that can be dual booted on a mac if you have one.

Fedora Core has to be one of the most supported distros out there, for example if you go to most manfacturers websites out there you will find that Intel has their Graphics, Wireless Lan and other drivers in a Fedora compatible RPM form, Adobe has the Adobe Reader the same way too and many others have the same thing.
Fedora Core 4 is very easy to install, configure and maintain and I just love everything about it.

2- SuSe is a great distro, very very easy to install , it has this polished feeling to it, it's oriented towards a less technically advanced audience than many other distors. The latest version openSuSe 10.x was newely released, though I don't use it because it's not as well supported as Fedora Core but it is comparable to it, and Yast is very easy to work with.

3-Mepis, a nice distro that is very easy to use and not too heavy on the technical side.

Brentx

Jun 15, 2005
For a beginner I would recommend SimplyMEPIS 3.3 or Ubuntu. Both distro's usually work great right out of the box. Myself, I am a big fan of Ubuntu and other Debian based distrobutions because of Apt-Get, and it's GUI counterpart Synaptic. Ubuntu and Mepis both have awesome package management systems. I have tried Fedora Core before, and other RPM based distros, but I don't like Yum as much as apt-get. However people have started to use yum extender, which seems to be almost good as synaptic. The only Distro I would stay away from is Gentoo if you are a beginner, because you have to compile everything from scratch.

You really have to play around with whatever distrobution you like the best. Burn maybe Fedora Core 4, SuSe, Ubuntu, and Mepis onto some CD's and take some time to try out each one. That's the best way to learn how Linux works.