Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ironjaw

macrumors 6502
May 23, 2006
Cold Copenhagen
img03c20d39zik8zj.jpeg

This was my first Mac and computer my parents bought me. As a kid, I researched and shopped for a computer and chose this one.

Mac LC 475 with external CD-ROM drive.

If you thought macs are expensive today, this one cost over $4000 back then!

I'm looking for this exact model the Performa LC 475 here in the UK, do you know what the monitor is called?

mBox

macrumors 68020
Jun 26, 2002
I'm looking for this exact model the Performa LC 475 here in the UK, do you know what the monitor is called?
I do believe it was called Apple Display. Check with Everymac, they have all the names there.
No photos :(

Andrewonthebeach

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2020
First Apple was a IIe with 64k ram and duel 5 1/4 inch floppy drives. My first actual Mac was a Mac plus 128k and then a Mac SE 1MB (i think 20MB hard drive) - I still have both of those in working order and a PowerBook 3400. Got a G3 imac in blue and since then have mainly had various iMacs although writing this on a mac mini.

Geordiekeith

macrumors member
May 12, 2006
I was working in a Belgian university lab and won a scientific prize with my supervisor of 1 million Belgian francs in late 1992. We used it to equip the lab with two Classics with Stylewriters, and an Appletalk network (put in the phonnet cables ourselves over a weekend) to link to the secretary's Laserwriter. My supervisor chose an SE30 for his home computer. I went whole hog and got an LCII with 13" colour screen, the Personal LaserWriter LS, and splashed out on an CD drive which I thought was an extravagance! I remember being pi**ed that by the time my order was delivered the LCIII had been announced.
I still have the LCII, with the little 12" black and white monitor - must try to fire it up sometime, as well as the Colour Classic I picked up later to have on my desk in the office.

Applefan2015

Cancelled
Feb 22, 2015
I was late to the Apple Mac family......

I have had apple iPhones since the 3GS days......

.......I wanted a change from windows which I have used since i was young enough to use PC’s so I purchased a 2018 MacBook Pro 15” touchbar 512gb ssd in 2018......

.........I liked what I saw when using it, so I had a lil bit of money burning a hole in my pocket.....

........Then in 2019 i purchased a 27” iMac 2tb fusion ( I know the drive everyone hates) 8gb gpu 8gb ram

If you got this far, thanks for reading.

Applefan2015

Cayenne1

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2016
Knoxville, TN
==> 1984 128K Macintosh <==

while working in Dhahran, Saudi Arabia.

I upgraded it to 512K by soldering in memory chips from a 3rd party kit onto the 4 layer circuit board. Had to desolder the original chips first. Not for the faint of heart in 1984.

slooksterPSV

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2004
Nowheresville
Dang, I don't know what the machine was, but it was heavy! It had like... 4MB of RAM, macOS 7.0, and an 80MB HDD. It was given to my mom by a friend. The monitor was heavy, but not as heavy as the computer itself.

Then I bought a Powerbook Lombard G3 off BaucomComputers I think. Then an iMac G3 (turquoise). iBook G3 500MHz, then my dad bought me a new iBook G4 1.33ghz for College. Upgraded to what... 1GB of RAM I think.

After all of that, I went Mac-less until about 2 years ago when I bought a MacBook Mid 2009 off Ebay, then a MBA 2015 at a pawn shop last year, and then a new MBA 2020 just a month ago.

What a wild ride!

Planned is a Mac mini with ASi =)

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens

I think it was called the Apple Color Display.

I remember that I really wanted one of those when I upgraded to a Macintosh IIcx from my Macintosh 512k "Fat Mac" . But it was just too expensive, so I got the black and white version (Apple Monochrome Display).

FWIW, my first Apple product was a 16k Apple ][ (serial number 4546) that I purchased for $1225 at the Computer Workshop of Pittsburgh on June 22, 1978. Unfortunately, it is long gone but I still have the original manuals and tapes. They did not even have a disk drive at that point, you had to provide your own audio cassette recorder to load/save software.

apple_tapes.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 0128672

CooperBox

macrumors 68000
This was the 1st Mac I owned. A 2001 G4 667GHz PowerBook3,3 Titanium Gigabit Ethernet model.

And HERE's the story behind it's demise and reincarnation, first posted here in 2016.

Still going wonderfully well today (with maxed out 1GB RAM) for occasional bureaucratic and intenet use with TFF FPR26 current web browser.
It was certainly not without it's (mainly cosmetic) faults, but performance apart, the ease of serviceability and total user-replaceable components make the current models pale in comparison.
How many of today's 2020 Macs & PowerMacs will still be around in 20 years times still performing? Barely any I wager!
Check back here in 2040 and we'll compare.......! ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.