Images
    Country
    Singapore

My Tanks Update - Elatine Triandra & Marine

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Elatine Triandra has been in aquatic scene for few years already. It is an easy plant to cultivate and it is a true foreground plant in that it really stay low/short regardless of tank's conditions/parameters. The tiny leafs and their dense growth are a view to behold. It is my favourite foreground species, so, I did it again.

The ET is covering the ground and begin to mature the tank, so I thought it's time to start sharing with you.

My little 2 footer low maintenance marine. Use only 3 equipment - filter, lamp and fan.

Feedback Score
    Country
    United_States
    Such a wonderfull tank and yet you will let it go. Well, I can see why you have chairs in front of your tank instead of a TV . I also love your Salt Water tank.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Freddy, good to see that you're doing Elatine again. I wanted to start with them as well but apparently, nobody seems to be selling them these days.

By the way, I've seen your Elatine (both past and present) and they ALWAYS look fresh.... Care to share your secret? :P

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Selwyn,

You are one persistent ET chaser, aren't you?
    - For that, you can visit my place and have them for free, say, in mid Nov 06 when the ET overgrown.

BTW, you can get them in Keong Siong at Havelock Road.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Freddy, thats a very nice aquascape! I feel sad that you have given up on planted tank. So you are going over to marine right?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Jason,

Aquatic hobby has been with me since I was a kid, it has become part of my life that will not shake off.

I started off at about 8 when I have my first fish, gold fish. I also experienmented marine at 10. I am a handy person from young, I buy, carry them back, etc, that all by myself. There were lots of failure because I often change the water 100% and have no idea about cycling a tank.

Internet has revolutionise the whole hobby, I learnt through this media. And I learnt about planted tank when I first surf the net and found KL, Timebomb. I wrote to him and he replied, from there, no more fish only tank.

I will continue the planted and marine hobby. I will buy 2 new tanks to suit my new living room layout which I hope to complete before Christmas (hopefully this year's ).

Feedback Score
    Country
    United_States
    Both tanks are beautiful! I really like the almost minimalistic simplicity of the marine tank; it works very well, in my opinion.

It's completely unrelated to your aquariums, but I also like your floors. They look really nice!

-Chris

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Chris,

I like the minimalistic approach in everything I do.

---

Off-tracking:
    Hard floor is very common/popular in Singaporean's homes as the weather is never cold. We do not wear shoe in the house, just bare foot to help make home maintenance easier. With high humidity, carpets are only feasible in full-time air-conditioned home.

Feedback Score
    Country
    United_States
    ---
    Off-tracking:

Quote Originally Posted by fc
    Hard floor is very common/popular in Singaporean's homes as the weather is never cold. We do not wear shoe in the house, just bare foot to help make home maintenance easier. With high humidity, carpets are only feasible in full-time air-conditioned home.
    I wish this were the case in the US. My current apartment's floors are covered in a really unattractive greyish carpet (if anything is spilled on it-- even just water-- it leaves a stain and it looks like it was made more for some sort of industrial use than home carpeting).

My girlfriend and I have been looking at other apartments lately and have made finding one with hardwood floors one of our top priorities. It's been more difficult than I expected, though we have seen a few. For the most part, though, it seems to be regarded as a "luxury" feature, of sorts, and most of the non-carpeted apartments have been way out of our price range.

Okay, sorry to have gotten completely off topic. Beautiful aquariums!

-Chris

Feedback Score
    Country
    United_States
    Freddy, about your marine aquarium is that a feather or fan coral in the center background of the tank?

Also what filter are you using?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Randall,

That is a fan coral I think, I am not good in (lazy to remember to be exact) biological names, plants included. The braches are hard.

The filter is Eheim 2224, using 8 watts coil. The flow is less than ideal but I placed the outlet slightly below the mid-water level which helps channeling maximum water in and around the live rocks. I choose this filter because of its' low wattage which translate into less heat dissipation to the water.

Hi Chris,

I think it is better that we add "Off-tracking:" header when we have to talk slightly outside the topic. In this way, I think it will be clearer/neater and reader will not be confused/offended. I had added that to your post above without your permission.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Freddy, care to share the specification you had for the ET tank?

Very healthy and nice looking tank!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Richie (is this your name?),

I would appreciate that write your post normally like:

"freddy, care to share the specification you had for the ET tank?" - wrong
    to
    "Freddy, care to share the specification you had for the ET tank?" - correct

We have certain specific requests for our member here, you can find it in "Notice Board". To help you a little, go to:
    http://www.killies.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=144
    After you corrected your post, I will reply you.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Apologise for my ignorance, will take note of this!

Freddy, I'm very sorry.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Wow Freddy,

Very nice ET growing there. You staying at SengKang as well? Me too.

By the way can you let me know where I can get some ETs from Local Fish Shop?

Feedback Score
    Country
    United_States
    Quote Originally Posted by BaLuKu
    Wow Freddy,

Very nice ET growing there. You staying at SengKang as well? Me too.

By the way can you let me know where I can get some ETs from Local Fish Shop?
    I"m assuming that Keong Siong is a LFS.

Edit:
    It is! The name is Keong Seong.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Selwyn,

You are one persistent ET chaser, aren't you?
    - For that, you can visit my place and have them for free, say, in mid Nov 06 when the ET overgrown.

Thanks for the kind and generous offer Freddy. I will contact you soon.

Meanwhile, I'm about to embark on a small project as well, hee hee... :P Just like yourself, I have plans to start on a simple marine tank but I'll do without the rocks. The theme will be 'Anemones' with green marine plants. With all these, I've got a probing question in mind, i.e., how necessary is a protein skimmer for a 'simple' setup like these?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Randall,
    Thanks for your help .

Selwyn,
    I had sold the tank, most of the ET will go to the buyer. However, there will be more than enough for you to collect to scape a 4 footer or larger, visit me next weekend (pm me for arrangement).

---

Off-tracking:
    I have plans to start on a simple marine tank but I'll do without the rocks. The theme will be 'Anemones' with green marine plants...how necessary is a protein skimmer for a 'simple' setup like these?
    I am no expert in marine, I started about 2 years ago. As far as aquatic or nature in general is concern, the need for purifications has direct relation with the bio load. So long the bio load is kept low, couple with good filter setup (that include live rocks), lighting for photosysntesis and regular water change (I change about 10~20% a month), you can do without protein skimmer. If you have further questions, please pm me.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi,

Do you know Petmart sell Elatine Triandra?

BTW, what is your water evapourate for your marine using fan?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    May I know your name, please?

Do you stay in Rivervale in Seng Kang Estate? If yes, my home is near you. I can give the plant to you for free. If interested, pm me to make appointment with me.

---
    Off-tracking:

The marine tank's water evaporates about 1 litre a day, I top up with tap water every 2~3 days. PM me if you have further questions.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast