Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi bro Freddy your Elatine Triandra you grow untill so nice do u had it for sale?
    Me staying at seng kang will like to buy from u to try it on my 3 ft tank planted tank

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Pictures taken last week...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Photo taken on 18 Nov 06...

E.T. grew quickly and piled up almost 4 inch thick

Almost no more bare ground

This last spot will be filled up in no time

Having gained momentum, there is no stopping for these E.T.

Closed up details, E.T. feeling at home now

Hidden secret, the Star Grasses started taking shape

[/b]

Feedback Score
    Country
    United_States
    That's a fast growth! What do you use, E.T. steroid?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Freddy

Very beautiful and healthy Elatine Triandra you have in the tank. I wonder how long did it take to reach 4cm height?

I am always puzzled by the background plant of Sam Yick's display tank at Marine Parade. It appears to be Rotala sp. green but they crawl on the sand and I really like the look of it. They form a ball shape.

I had tried Rotala sp. green but despite high intensity of light I blasted at them, they were still not crawling like Sam Yick's. Having seen your picture, I begin to think they may be Elatine Triandra. Even if they are not, I am inspired by your tank and will try E.T until they grow thick

Regards
    Maurice Cheong

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by zen
    Very beautiful and healthy Elatine Triandra you have in the tank. I wonder how long did it take to reach 4cm height?
    About 8 weeks, my photo period is short at 7~8 hrs. It would be much faster with longer photo period.
    I am always puzzled by the background plant of Sam Yick's display tank at Marine Parade. It appears to be Rotala sp. green but they crawl on the sand and I really like the look of it.
    Maurice Cheong,
    I sure know what you are talking about. The picture below does not give justice to the tank at all but...

This is the ultimate tank I have ever seen physically, it is this tank that drive my nuts, it inspired me alot. I used to drive 10 km there every 4~6 weeks, just to see how it progress or to look for new aquascape.
    If you saw it 4 years ago, the tank was having Glosso as foreground, they grew so dense and low, I cannot resist but to try having them on my tank.
    I had tried Rotala sp. green but despite high intensity of light I blasted at them, they were still not crawling like Sam Yick's. Having seen your picture, I begin to think they may be Elatine Triandra.
    They are definitely not E.T., they are Rotala sp. green. The light play a big part in keeping the plant dense and low but the Dennerle products add to that plant vibrant and strong colour.

I am sure you also saw the Ludwigia Brevipes, the pinkish brown stem plants. They crawl above the mosses, just like the R.G. I tried that but I am nowhere close to it.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Yes Freddy, I am talking about this tank and thanks for posting the picture.

At least I now know that I am not the only one who went nuts about this tank . I am greatly inspired by the rotala sp green and erect moss there. Not to mention my first sight of Utricularia graminifolia forming a carpet not seen anywhere else. It is amazing how they keep so beautiful plants there. Their red plants are really red. They are still using FL for light.

Yes, I believe they dose full range of Dennerle fertiliser products

Regards
    Maurice Cheong

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    They are still using FL for light.
    Yes, I believe they dose full range of Dennerle fertiliser products
    The tank has 3 JBJ lamp sets of 3 x 36 watts. The dome shaped lamp sets look very efficient in directing/reflecting the lights.
    IMO, the T8 FL is still the best florescence lamp type for planted tank in terms of light production efficient (lumens per watt) and light colour quality/rendition/trueness.

Yes, Joe uses the full range of the Dennerle for the routine fertilization regime. I knew this because I saw it myself several times coincidentally, so, you can see how often I had been there. That was in the past, I hardly go there now because the aquacape has not change for long time.

BTW, I knew what you wish to acheive, you can try that with Elatine Triandra. However, remember to have something (like mosses, rocks/woods) for it to crawl over on. Otherwise, E.T. will always stay low/flat. The great thing about E.T. is that it does not need super high light to force it low.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Thanks for the advice, Freddy.

Its good news to hear that ET stays low regardless of intensity of light. I had my experience with glosso and it went vertical up at area with less light, which was quite unsightly.

As regards Sam Yick's tank, I noticed that it is a JBJ light set. But I am unable to see what type of FL they are using. They are selling some high end T8 FL tudes that command a premium. At times, I was wondering whether their FL tudes did the trick to make the rotala crawl in the tank. There were also discussion that they use undergravel heating coil but the debate was put to rest some years ago about it effectiveness.

There was once I saw the tank hit by green water and hair algae on the rare carpet of utricularia graminifolia and it was a pity. I believe the tank is back to sharp now.

Rgds
    Maurice Cheong

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    But I am unable to see what type of FL they are using.
    Maurice,
    The lamps are from Dennerle. I doubt the Dennerle lamps made the different. It is the 12 long hours photo period and the high light played the tricks. And Dennerle fertilizers complimented the growth well.

There was once I saw the tank hit by green water and hair algae on the rare carpet of utricularia graminifolia and it was a pity.
    I find that the Dennerle fertilizer being rather unforgiving in poor maintenance, they run out of balance once the routine of water change and re-fertilization is not strictly followed.
    On the other hand, I suspected Joe is not good in water chemistry and he merely follow the product's guideline to do well. He got into trouble in many of his tanks whenever he loose focus.
    However, I admired his aquacsape skills.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    yup,

I admire this tank a lot everytime I pass by Sam Petshop.
    They have a lot of scaping ideas for me, but then, see only. no touch ok...*ouch* to my pocket

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I went to Sam Yicks yesterday evening and been looking at the front lawn.... wonder what carpet plant are those? Doesn't looks like glossostigma...
    Any idea?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    They are Utricularia graminifolia ("Chendo" Plants).

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I may be a little late for this post, but nice looking ET!! i wished i found this website earlier so that i could get some ET from you. Currently, I am waiting for my glosso to grow!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Desmond,

You are not late. I still have the E.T. in my tank. I had change the aquascape greatly and I now use cosmetic sands at the foreground. I hope it will turn out nice in about a month's time.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    If my glosso don't turn up well, probably I will get some ET from you but they are thriving! Maybe, if i decide to change the plants, i will contact you again.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12