Ant_Bad_Yogi's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8

Buffalo Village - Nostalgic place in Suphan Buri, Thailand

A kid is sitting on a buffalo, Buffalo VillageA kid is sitting on a buffalo, Buffalo Village

Welcome to #monthlytopic of October 2019, initiated by @HiroyukiTakisawa. This month, the topic is Nostalgic places or goods. I just visited a place and I think it fits this topic perfectly. Here is my experience there.

Yesterday I went for a field trip to Ang Thong with my colleagues. We had some time, about 1-2 hours, to kill before the appointment with a vendor. So we decided to give a short visit to Buffalo Village in Suphan Buri.

After we parked, we went to the ticket office and bought the tickets. A ticket costs 30 Baht ($1). At the gate, some visitors including us took a selfie. This gate is made from bamboo. There is a cute buffalo picture on the left side of it.

The gate of Buffalo VillageThe gate of Buffalo Village

We walked a bit further and found a big and beautiful pond. There you can see some pink buffaloes soaking in the pond. They are there to greet the visitors everyday. This is a nice spot for taking photos. So I stopped a bit for one shot.

A view of pond in Buffalo VillageA view of pond in Buffalo Village

Then we went to Buffalo Ground. We were lucky that there was a show going on. There was a lot of kids at the Buffalo Ground watching the show. So we just stood outside and watched the show for a short period as it was very hot outside.

Buffalo Ground, Buffalo VillageBuffalo Ground, Buffalo Village

Now let me tell you why I think this place is a nostalgic one to me. When I was a kid, the area around my house was filled with rice fields. I always saw some buffaloes in the fields. Nowadays, I still see some rice fields but I don't see any buffaloes around at all. So this place really brings me the memories when I was a kid.

Kids are watching buffalo show, Buffalo VillageKids are watching buffalo show, Buffalo Village

Here are the benefits of buffaloes to Thai people.

1. They are our labor - Buffaloes have special gift that they are good in walking on a muddy area. So we use them to help in rice fields mostly in preparing the soil.
  2. We use their poop for fertilizer - This is cheap and environment friendly way to power the plants using buffaloes' poop.
  3. We eat their meat - It has a good flavor, also it is claimed to have less fat than fish, chicken and beef. But it is more chewy though. 

We then walked through a bamboo walk way to our destination of this place. ?

A walk way in Buffalo VillageA walk way in Buffalo Village

Now we were at the buffalo pond. There were 6 of them chilling and relaxing in the pond. Some of them were in the stall next to the pond, eating some grasses. It seemed like they really enjoyed themselves like that on a hot and sunny day.

Buffaloes are relaxing in a pond, Buffalo VillageBuffaloes are relaxing in a pond, Buffalo Village

Next we walked to the small cafe and rest area at one end of the pond. Some of us ordered some drinks, some just sit and enjoyed the view of the buffaloes in the pond. One of my colleague told us that the buffaloes will come close to us if we feed them with grasses. 

Visitors are enjoying their drinks and watching buffaloes soaking in the pond, Buffalo VillageVisitors are enjoying their drinks and watching buffaloes soaking in the pond, Buffalo Village

We enjoyed the drinks and the view of the pond with relaxing buffaloes for a while then we walked back to the parking lot. Along the way back, there is a rice field with a walk path made by bamboo. It is beautiful and nice view so, again I stopped for a nice shot below.

Bamboo walking path in rice fields, Buffalo VillageBamboo walking path in rice fields, Buffalo Village

On the way back, there are some souvenir shops. Some shops also have local fruits and desserts. I found the animal dolls made from coconut shells cute, so I took a photo to share with you. And this is it, my short visit to Buffalo Village - Nostalgic place in Suphan Buri, Thailand.

Animal dolls made from coconut shells, Buffalo VillageAnimal dolls made from coconut shells, Buffalo Village

Today I don't see any buffaloes around anymore. As we use machines for farming, we use chemical fertilizer for powering the plants, that is why the farmers don't have any buffaloes and the farmers don't use them nowadays.

Is there any place or thing that you feel nostalgia about? Share it with us in the comment section. I would love to read it.

หมู่บ้านอนุรักษ์ควายไทย(บ้านควายสุพรรณบุรี) Wang Nam Sap, Si Prachan District, Suphan Buri, Thailand
77 comments
Level 8

Re: Buffalo Village - Nostalgic place in Suphan Buri, Thailand

Beautifully written post @Ant_Bad_Yogi with so many.lovely photos that really bring your words to life. I loved the bamboo walking path in the rice field! It is wonderful that the buffalo are able to help your community in so many different ways, from labour to fertilizer. My nostalgic park is a place my father used to take me on weekends called 'The rocket park.' It was called this because it had a big, metal structure that looked like a rocket. You could climb up inside it and then slide down. I remember spending happy times here with my Dad. Thanks so much for your post!

Level 1

วันแห่งความสุข ในบรรยาศแบบร้อน ๆ และภาพสวย ๆ

Connect Moderator

Ahhh, good photos!! Thank you for join, @Ant_Bad_Yogi,
It's a very beautiful and pleasant place:-)
And the coconut shells dolls are so cute! It looks difficult to bring back to Japan but I guess that I can't help but buy it.

Thank you!

Level 8

@JustineE Thank you so much for reading this post. I'm really glad you like it. I love the bamboo walking path too, it is lovely and beautiful. And you are right, buffaloes help us in many ways. Too bad I don't get to see them around anymore.

The rocket park you mentioned is interesting. Is there any chance you can share the location to us? I would love to look at the photos. Anyhow, from your description, I can imagine it is a nice place for you and your father to spend a quality time together. Thank you for sharing your experience here with us. 🙂

Level 8

@Om-Hani จริงค่ะ วันแห่งความสุข และก็ใช่ค่ะ มันร้อนมาก แต่ว่าถ้าเดินเล่นใต้ต้นไม้ใหญ่ก็เย็นสบายดีค่ะ ขอบคุณนะคะสำหรับคำชม ดีใจมากเลยค่ะที่คุณ @Om-Hani ชอบ

Level 8

@HiroyukiTakisawa Thank you for the compliments. You are welcome. It is fun to join #monthlytopic with you here. I like the coconut shell dolls as well. They are so cute like you said. They are perfect for souvenir. It is a bit difficult to bring one to Japan as I guess they don't have a box for it. Now I'm looking forward to reading your #monthlytopic of October 2019. 🙂

Level 10

Beautiful and almost moving post @Ant_Bad_Yogi !
I really like these places where both animal species and the traditions of the past are preserved!
Congratulations also for the photos: they make you transport them right in the middle making you experience this experience in person! 

Thanks again for sharing with us,

David

Former Google Contributor

Hi @Ant_Bad_Yogi,

Thank you for sharing the experience with us! : ]

It is really great to see a buffalo themed village, as to be able to interact and learn so much about them is a bliss.

Buffalo is indeed a great symbol of the wet rice culture of Southeastern Asia, as being mentioned at the end of the post, with the modernization, their role would be decreased significant.

I would like to mention our fellow moderator @Aruni, as she may also share her thoughts on the subject.

P.s: The category of the post would be changed into Travel, as I do think it is most suitable for the main subject.

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator.
Thank you!
Level 8

@davidhyno Thank you for the compliments. It is nice to know that you like the places where both animals and traditions in the past are preserved. If we don't do it, they will fade away and finally disappears completely. I'm glad you like the photos as well. I like them too. 🙂 Thanks again for your nice words for this post here.