• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Who misses the Dune, Command & Conquer and Red Alert series?

KPJZKC

Man the first dune was one of my first PC games well reall ones at least and still my fav

Dune 1 was a classic also, such a strange mix of Strategy and Adventure Game (but a mix that worked really well at times).

I miss Cryo Interactive, and Stephane Picq's soundtrack for that game was stunning. Unfortunately he sort of dropped off the face of the earth soon after that (I think he lives on a beach in Madagascar or something)

Obligatory links to the amazing Dune 1 OST

Arakeen Palace

Deep Desert

Chani's Eyes (SO GOOD)

Wiktor

As for the game itself, it started off as a retail AAA sequel to Generals. Then it was just renamed to Command & Conquer while still retaining the Generals setting, signifying some kind of quasi reboot. And the game's business model was changed from retail to F2P, and the game client itself was going to act as a vessel for different "modules" later on set in the Tiberium and Red Alert universes, sort of like Neverwinter Nights campaign modules. And then it was just cancelled.

The ending of this mess was hilarious. THey announced launch date and beta start date and then canceled the game the next day:D

hypotc

I'd like to give Red Alert 3 an honorable mention aswell, mainly because of this:

78873589.jpg

It sucks that the long awaited culmination to the C&C / Kane saga was 4, which was a rushed out f2p-style always online game that didn't play like C&C at all. It really felt like the devs were stuck in between where RTSs were and where they were going and could not decide on what they wanted. C&C deserved better.

Furoba

Red alert 2 was so good online, the inter faction mechanics worked really well. Still can't understand why they threw out the ore mining mechanics out of the window for ra3. Generals was the last decent title imo.
We should do a ra2 gaf game!

Linkark07

Banned
Really miss those games.

What I loved about Emperor: Battle for Dune was that you could attack the adjacent territories. And as you progressed your final objective was the enemy capital in Arrakis. And then attack the enemy's homeworld.

Man, why can't Petroglyph make another game like C&C? Most of Westwood Studio staff is there as far as I remember.

lazygecko

Just recently there was a leaked internal video from the cancelled Tiberium FPS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-PcAQbpzXE

As a C&C fan I would have loved to see the universe explored more deeply, but doing it through yet another high budget dudebro spectacle FPS is probably the least inspired way of doing it, so I can't say I was sad to see it go.

Man, why can't Petroglyph make another game like C&C? Most of Westwood Studio staff is there as far as I remember.

They recently announced a new RTS called Grey Goo to little fanfare. Their recent output has been of lukewarm quality, but for this game's press release they made a point out of it not being a micro-focused RTS which makes me cautiously optimistic.

Like many series the command and conquer series got worse over time. I preferred it in its earlier days when it was a little simpler. Same thing happened with age of empires for me.

I don't really miss them though as i still own the games and keep on playing them.

I miss command and conquer :( some of the best times of my childhood were playing skirmish's R.I.P. Westwood (nobody could do it like you did)

Quotient

C&C was always a favorite amongst my friends and I.

I remember buying C&C Red Alert on the playstation and taking my ps1 and game to my friends place. We would link the consoles, put the tv's back to back and play hours of the game. We were poor kids who couldn't afford PCs so we had to rely on our trusty playstations.

We eventually got PCs and migrated our C&C addiction to that platform, but my fondest memories are still with the playstation.

scarybore

I really liked Dune 2 but could never get into the C&C games.

Same. Though I do enjoy the ridiculousness of the Red Alert games, the mainline C&C games never really clicked with me for some reason.

Would really love a new Dune game, I'd take anything at this point, must be about 15 years since we had anything.

RiverBed

Banned
I was disappointed by the cancellation of their next-gen F2P C&C. It looked good and it had familiar structures (which indicate it'll have good gameplay). I wonder what went wrong? I have a feeling it the business model was part of it.

Wiktor

I was disappointed by the cancellation of their next-gen F2P C&C. It looked good and it had familiar structures (which indicate it'll have good gameplay). I wonder what went wrong? I have a feeling it the business model was part of it.

RTS and F2P MMO just don't seem to match well.. Company of Heroes Online got canceled despite being finished, CnC got canceled too and End of Nations is now turning into MOBA or something.

Gundy2010

CnC3 and generals in my opinion are the 2 most refined titles in the serie competitive and visual wise, and I played the shit out of them back then. RA2 & 3 nailed the aethetics and unit VO, but really lacking in the combat satisfaction in term of visual and audio feedback.

Such a shame that FTP generals got canceled. RTS is falling into super niche catagory real fast in recent years

doofy102

I used to play Yuri's Revenge all the time but I was no good at it, I'd deliberately set up a skirmish with the enemy on easy mode, on another continent, and never picked them to be allies, so no robots could cross the water. Basically I could attack at my leisure.

Also, most of the women actors in Red Alert 2 have gone nude in films.

RA1 and 2 are among my best gaming years ever.

Then RA3 happened and completely crushed any hopes of the series maintaining its former path of excellence. Diablo 3 (in it's current form) is how you revamp a classic series for modern times. RA3 is not.

Munkybhai

C&C in all its forms (minus C&C4), Generals and Emperor were my favorite games. My friends and I played the crap out of those games. Once in a while, we tall about going back to it but life always gets in the way.

I want a new Dune so bad. Ive played through the Star Craft games and parts of WC3... Just not the same for me.

Mu Zein Wallah!

Titch1211

Banned
Dune 2000
Command and Conquer 3
The Lord of the Rings: Battle for Middle Earth II

3 of my favorite RTS games and all 3 of their series are pretty much dead,

Red Alert 3 was so out there I don't even know what to begin. The fact that they dumbed down the way you collect money is just mind boggling. I don't know what prompted them to do the change but resource collecting is like a staple for a RTS.

Danneee

I still remember playing Dune 2 on my first PC, so awesome! And buying some American PC mag just to play the C&C demo.

TLotR' RTS was surprisingly. Such a crying shame all are dead now.

A bigger shame is that the second LotR RTS isn't available digitally (just the expansion I believe) as I always wanted to play that.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
If you are asking if I miss Westwood: Fucking yes!
I also want a new Lands of Lore, come on EA...actually maybe don't....

I still remember playing Dune 2 on my first PC, so awesome! And buying some American PC mag just to play the C&C demo.

A bigger shame is that the second LotR RTS isn't available digitally (just the expansion I believe) as I always wanted to play that.

Oh shit I literally just checked Battle for Middle Earth 2 Wiki as I only played the first with the intention of trying to buy it digitally later. That's a real bummer then. Finding a retail copy would be too much hassle.

bwakh

I used to play Yuri's Revenge all the time but I was no good at it, I'd deliberately set up a skirmish with the enemy on easy mode, on another continent, and never picked them to be allies, so no robots could cross the water. Basically I could attack at my leisure.

Also, most of the women actors in Red Alert 2 have gone nude in films.

The latex suit Russian officer? :O

Danneee

Oh shit I literally just checked Battle for Middle Earth 2 Wiki as I only played the first with the intention of trying to buy it digitally later. That's a real bummer then. Finding a retail copy would be too much hassle.

Yep :(
I've checked Origin for it a couple of times but it's not there. I think I might have confused the LotR expansion with the Black & White 2 expansion too. The B&W2 exp is on origin but not the base game.

Sentenza

Eh, while I always appreciated those games, I actually miss pretty much everything else Westwood Studios worked on a lot more.

meppi

Love Dune 2 on the Mega Drive.
As a matter of fact it's still my favourite RTS game.

Really wish we would get a HD remake or a new game in the exact same vein. :(

theJohann

I absolutely do.

I think Generals and Zero Hour were fantastic, too. I'd say they were on par with the Red Alert series, although they're obviously quite different.

todahawk

While many people call Starcraft and Warcraft the best RTS series I actually prefer the Command and Conquer series. Today I realized how much I missed these games and wish that EA hadn't treated it so poorly after successfully resurrecting it in 2007 with C&C3.

Red Alert 2 and Command and Conquer 3 are my alltime favorite strategy games.

Another game that gets overlooked is Emperor Battle for Dune.

Thoughts?

Are there ways to play these games with widescreen support today?

http://www.openra.net/
You can play updates to Red Alert, Tiberian Dawn and Dune 2000 on Windows, OSX and Linux. I play it at home on our MacBooks with my son. They list the changes they've made on the wiki but I've had a lot of fun with it.
FYI: original discs are not required. Music can be downloaded in game as well (yes, Hell March too).

20140722-capturetech.png

20140709-tibsun.png

I miss C&C, A LOT! I put at least 1500 hours into Generals online, including Zero Hour. Oh do I wish they made Generals 2 ;(

Easily one of my most played online games along with Socom 2. Nothing comes close to those 2 games.

RP912

Banned
As a big c & c fan...I could go for a new game right now. I don't even care if EA takes part in it. Just give me another command and conquer game please.

Red Alert 2 and Yuri's Revenge are probably my favorite RTS games for all time.

C&C 3 was a lot of fun as well.

The series as a whole could probably do with a resurrection.

oceanskie

Banned
Now might be a good time for EA to revisit the Generals IP.

Factions could include the equivalents of NATO, China/Russia and ISIS.

Jrs3000

I grew up with found memories of this series. I use to play LAN games with my cousin. Can't remember if it was red alert 1 or 2 but one of my favorite things in the campaign was
fighting the giant ants.

The early C&C games were so good: Kane, music, movie scenes. There was also this great alternative reality plot in the second one - and it had TESLA COILS!

Terra_Ex

Yeah, I do, the core C & C series has long been my favourite RTS, the first one especially holds a lot of good memories for me. I really wish someone would start making some proper RTS games again, loved the mission briefings with Kane and co back in the day and I haven't played a game that scratched that itch in years.

Top Bottom