Sea Apple Care????

Baboo11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am a newbie to SW (55g tank is 2 months old)and the guy at a lfs sold me a sea apple, telling me, "Yeah, you can do that!" I was mortified to get home & start reading up on them - expert care only, "Death in a colorful package," - can kill your whole tank if stressed. I called the guy back & he poo-pooed the info I had read (needless to say, he didn't offer to buy it back!). I've had it about three weeks - seems okay, opens up at least once/day to feed. What I need to know is how to feed it properly. I recently had an ich outbreak, so have moved all fish to a QT. How much & how often should I add phytoplankton to the tank? Help! :squigglemouth:

skinz78

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would agree with the info that you have read, they are for sure an expert only critter, but don't let that deter you, just become an expert!:bigsmile:

I would dose the tank every other day with phyto also you can probably add something like reef snow just in case the apple might eat it too. I would add probably about 1 ml? Just keep an eye on your Phosphates and Nitrates.

m and m

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not visit that place to spend my money again, I know its part of the buyers obligation to read up on what they buy, but i feel they exploited you. On a better note I dont feel they are death waiting. just keep your parameters straight be careful and watch it. i would say once every two days. < total guess but i would think feeding once a day would raise NO3 and PO4 to much. Key things i would keep in mind that would stress is IMO to watch for

Other fish picking at it
Getting stuck in pumps/overflows
Add top of carefully, allot of Newer people dont have Auto top offs and just dump in RO water witch can stress out because it dont mix right away.
Keeping Alk streight

Mantis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on death in colorful package... I would take him back for store credit... Cut your loses and never go back to that lfs...

I have never heard of a successfu result with those things...

OP
OP
B

Baboo11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks to all of you for the advice - I had planned to steer clear of that lfs, I thought, but it's reinforcing to have you echo my thoughts! I have to admit that I like the way the sea apple looks, but it does make me nervous. I am wondering about the topping off - you're right, I do just dump RO water in - do it at least every other day, so it's a small amount, but what should I be doing? Thanks again for your help! :smile:

skinz78

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Set your top off up as a slow drip, I took a plastic 1 gallon bucket and drilled a hole just big enough for a airline valve at about 1/2" up from the bottom. I drip Kalkwasser from this into my sump.

mjplumber

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a red sea apple in my mixed reef tank and have not had a problem with it. I feed my tank Rods food, cyclopeeze, photoplanktin and pellets for the fish. Keep your parms in check and watch your fish don't nip @ it. I have clowns, yellow tang, kole tang, watchman and a flame angel in with my sea apple and so far so good. They will release a toxic if stressed or nipped at!

IMG_0980.JPG

IMG_0974.JPG

OP
OP
B

Baboo11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not going to be able to return this creature to that lfs - nor will I spend another second or dime there. But I just don't have it in me to kill it. So, I'm just continuing to try to care properly for it. So far, it seems to be happy - opens up at least once per day to feed; I have also noticed that his (her?) tentacles for feeding have grown since coming to live with me. I seem to have found a happy medium on not over-dosing the phytoplankton (had huge algae blooms for a few days). None of my current fish have bothered it at all (lawnmower blennie, royal gramma, six-line wrasse, and several chromis. Am planning to add a pair of clownfish and maybe a watchman goby with pistol shrimp yet.

Thanks to mjplumber for the beautiful pics! 1smile1 My sea apple is blue, and my children have named it "Rainbow."

020111132104.jpg
020511181557.jpg

020111132104.jpg

020511181557.jpg

taenhao

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am by no means an expert on anything! I have three sea apples (still do) for many years)

Here is what I have learned/recommend if you want to keep them healthy:

Sea apples will not tolerate water temperate above 76 degrees for more than a few hours (a chiller is a must)

I keep my tank between 72 and 75 degrees.

You must feed them phytoplankton (good quality) every day After the daylight light are off. I have not found Marine Snow to be of food value to sea apples.

Sea apples feed at dawn/dusk and night, if you see them feeding during daylight hours, they are not getting enough food (occasional feeding, or feeding arms out for a short time in daylight is OK)

Be wary of “reef safe” wrasses. They re not always safe for invertebrates!!

Nitrates should never exceed 15 ppm

It is a myth that you cannot move them. Every once in a while mine decide to “walk” to some ridiculous place in the tank. Here is what I have found to work: Turn off the filters and pumps. Carefully pull them away from the problem area. They attach themselves with a lot of power, so do not be alarmed if it seems like you are ripping them apart! Remove from the “bottom” first, never pull the sides or top). Place them in an area where they get good moderate water flow and gently hold them against the sand or rock where you want them. They will attach quickly. Once they attach, turn on the pumps and filter

Power heads inside the tank, must have sponge filter around the intakes.

Do not be alarmed if they start to take on weird shapes, they are fine as long as they are not folding in on themselves.

Sea apples should feel firm and plump to the touch. If they start to flatten, or feel “mushy” they are in trouble and should be removed from the take immediately!

All in all, despite the effort, I love them, just got an Australian sea apple that is so beautiful! I love them and find them worth the effort

FYI, I have a 28 gallon nanocube!

_sludgefactory

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This makes me want to get one, I've always wanted to try one. My params are always on point, I do zeovit so there should be plenty of planktonic bacteria for it to eat. I hope you have good luck with it. If youre diligent and keep up after it, it should work out for you. May I suggest possible using Coral Frenzy to try feeding it, and target feeding it if you dont already. I use a turkey baster when I target feed. That way the animal gets all the food and you dont spoil your tank params as much.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 49 29.9%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.7%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 45 27.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 56 34.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.9%
Back